For decades, asphalt has been a popular choice for all types of commercial pavements, especially parking lots. An asphalt parking lot has the right combination of value, longevity, and aesthetic appeal, and it is economical and fast to maintain or repair. Whether your parking lot is large or small, however, it needs to be a safe place for everyone who uses it. Experienced commercial asphalt paving contractors know how to help you create a safer environment for your patrons and your employees.
Why Safety Is Imperative in Commercial Asphalt Paving
If My Parking Lot Is Unsafe, What Might Happen?
Many people do not associate parking lots with serious accidents, but an average of around 500 people a year are fatally injured in American parking lots. More than 50,000 people suffer nonfatal injuries, and roughly 20% of all cars that sustain damage in an accident receive the damage in a parking lot or parking garage. If your parking lot is unsafe, you could potentially find yourself embroiled in a personal injury or property damage lawsuit. You could also be abandoned by many of your customers, tenants, and employees.
What Is the First Thing That Asphalt Companies Do to Help Customers Make Their Parking Lots Safer?
A safer parking lot begins with a proper design and layout. There are many different ways to configure a parking lot, and knowledgeable commercial paving contractors understand the pros and cons of each configuration. For example, a parking angle of 90 degrees provides the maximum number of spaces, but drivers will have more difficulty entering and exiting the spaces, increasing the chances of an accident. Therefore, this angle is more suitable for lots in which vehicles remain parked for many hours than for lots in which vehicles come and go in a matter of minutes. The way that traffic flows through the lot is another important design consideration. Parking aisles may accommodate two-way or one-way traffic, the flow pattern may be designed to mitigate areas of high congestion, or the layout may funnel traffic from different entrances to different sections of the lot.
What Other Methods Do Parking Lot Paving Contractors Use to Increase Safety?
Parking lot safety can consist of a variety of enhancements that can work independently or in conjunction with other methods. Here are some of the most common.
1. Timely repairs of potholes and cracks can help prevent trip and fall accidents as well as vehicle damage.
2. Parking lot sealcoating can provide additional traction, especially on wet pavement.
3. Well-placed signs and pavement markings can help control traffic.
4. Vibrant parking lot striping guides drivers to help them tell whether they are parked properly.
5. Wheel stops can prevent cars from taking unsafe shortcuts.
6. Effective lighting helps pedestrians and drivers see the pavement better and eliminates or reduces shadows that could conceal criminal activity.
7. Trimming shrubs and other landscaping can eliminate blind corners, help prevent tripping accidents, or eliminate the possibility that pedestrians might be injured by a low-hanging or intrusive branch.
The Surface Masters has been providing exceptional paving services since 2011 to customers throughout the greater Atlanta area. Our services include asphalt paving and overlays, asphalt repairs, parking lot sealcoating, crack sealing, and pavement markings and parking lot striping. We are an award-winning company with a reputation for exceptional craftsmanship and exemplary customer service. For a free quote, use the online form to send us your information or call our office in Marietta at 770-250-6392.