Sealcoating an asphalt pavement is an effective and economical way to reduce your lifetime costs by preventing damage and premature deterioration. Sealcoating blocks harmful UV rays, slows the progression of automotive fluids, enhances the pavement’s traction, and improves the appearance of your pavement. However, successful sealcoating applications require various conditions that are commonly found in the spring. This means that springtime is the perfect season to apply Atlanta asphalt sealcoating.
Why Do Atlanta Asphalt Sealcoating Contractors Prefer Springtime Applications?
Sealcoating in Atlanta can present challenges due to the conditions under which asphalt sealcoating must be applied. The major challenges involve the weather, but sealcoating companies must also consider the hours of sunlight available. Spring is the season in which all factors are more likely to occur on any given day.
How Does the Weather Affect the Success of Atlanta Asphalt Sealcoating Projects?
The companies that manufacture asphalt sealcoating provide guidelines that specify the ideal conditions as well as conditions that are acceptable. The closer conditions are to ideal, the more likely it is that an Atlanta sealcoating company can achieve high-quality results. The weather-related conditions all concern the ability of the sealcoating to evaporate the water that it contains.
1. Relative Humidity: It can never be too dry to apply sealcoating. The ideal humidity is less than 50%, but the acceptable humidity level is anything under 90%.
2. Temperature: Sealcoating companies must consider both the surface temperature and the air temperature. Although the two are normally very close, there are occasions when they can differ significantly. The ideal temperature for sealcoating is 70 degrees Fahrenheit. The acceptable minimum is around 50 degrees. Once the temperature exceeds 90 degrees, sealcoating contractors usually need to take extra steps to compensate for the excessive heat.
3. Wind: Sealcoating can evaporate its water faster if there is a steady breeze of at least 3 mph. The ideal is around 5 mph. If the wind speed is in double digits, it can be a problem. Depending on the other conditions, a high wind could accelerate the rate of evaporation too much, thus affecting the sealcoating’s curing. In addition, excessive winds can make it more difficult for contractors to keep the spray confined to the pavement or achieve an even application.
What Other Factors Could Affect Atlanta Asphalt Sealcoating Jobs?
When planning asphalt sealcoating projects, contractors must consider the following additional factors.
1. Repairs: Before applying sealcoating, it is essential to repair significant cracks and potholes. If not, the sealant will flow into the breaks and be lost.
2. Sunlight: Sealcoating needs to be exposed to sunlight for at least four hours. Therefore, most Atlanta sealcoating companies are loath to apply sealcoating on a heavily overcast day.
3. Rain: When sealcoating in Atlanta, the contractor must make sure that the pavement is dry before starting the application. No rain can fall during the application or until the sealcoating is completely cured, which normally takes at least 24 hours.
4. Pavement Preparation: The pavement must be meticulously cleaned before the sealcoating company begins the application. Dirt, tree sap, grass clippings, trash, and other debris must be removed. Oil stains must be cleaned, and they may require a primer.
The Surface Masters specializes in parking lot maintenance for clients in the Atlanta metropolitan area. We offer asphalt sealcoating, pavement markings and parking lot striping, asphalt repairs, crack sealing, milling and reclamation, asphalt paving, and concrete and curbing services. We are an experienced, award-winning, highly respected company with an exemplary reputation for craftsmanship, service, and professionalism. If you would like to receive a free quote, fill out the online form, call 770-250-6392, or email Info@TheSurfaceMasters.com.