As an Atlanta facility manager, you are responsible for ensuring that your property is always capable of meeting the needs of the people who use it. Your common tasks probably include scheduling routine maintenance for your building and its systems, overseeing major upgrades, and soliciting multiple bids for costly repairs. However, you may not deal with your property’s asphalt pavements as often as you deal with other aspects of your facility. Here are some asphalt paving tips that might help you navigate your next project.
What Are Four Asphalt Paving Tips for Facility Managers?
When it comes to asphalt paving services, there are things you should do before, during, and after you hire an Atlanta asphalt paving company.
1. Spend some time to educate yourself about the various asphalt paving services available.
2. Review your budget to determine how much money you have available.
3. Select a trustworthy, experienced Atlanta asphalt paving contractor.
4. Take care of your Atlanta asphalt paving after your contractor completes your job.
How Should Facility Managers Educate Themselves About Asphalt Paving Services?
The first thing to remember is that an Atlanta paving company will usually offer a variety of services. You can learn more about the different services by visiting the websites of local asphalt paving companies. However, until an Atlanta asphalt paving contractor evaluates your situation, you are unlikely to know for certain which service is appropriate.
1. When most people think about asphalt paving in Atlanta, they think of either a new installation or the reconstruction of an existing pavement. If you need a pavement constructed where none has ever existed, there is no question about the type of service you require. However, if you have an existing pavement, you may have alternatives, including asphalt resurfacing and asphalt patching.
2. Asphalt resurfacing is a procedure in which an Atlanta asphalt paving contractor grinds away the top few inches of an existing pavement. New asphalt is then placed and compacted to restore the pavement to its original depth. When handled by an experienced, competent Atlanta paving company, asphalt resurfacing can deliver the functionality and appearance of a reconstructed pavement for much less money.
3. Asphalt patching is a type of paving repair that asphalt paving companies often use when a pavement has suffered alligator cracking, numerous potholes, or various other types of damage. Depending on the situation, Atlanta asphalt paving contractors will remove the damaged area to a sufficient depth. They then install and compact new asphalt paving to make the patch level with the surrounding pavement.
Why Is One of the Asphalt Paving Tips for Facility Managers Involve Reviewing Their Budget?
Reviewing your budget lets you know what funds are available and how they are classified. It also gives you an opportunity to see if there are excess funds in another category that you could reallocate. However, the most important reason is that your Atlanta asphalt paving contractor needs to know your situation to recommend the correct services at the correct time. Experienced asphalt paving companies are used to helping clients work around their budgetary constraints. For example, if you lack the funds to have your massive parking lot completely resurfaced, your Atlanta asphalt paving contractor might recommend spreading the work over two or three fiscal years. The Atlanta paving contractor could resurface the worst areas this year, then the second-worst areas next year, and so on. Alternatively, an Atlanta paving company might tell you that patching a few areas could buy you enough time to accumulate the necessary funds to resurface or replace your pavement.
Why Is the Selection of a Paving Company Important?
The quality of asphalt paving in Atlanta relies heavily on the skills, experience, and trustworthiness of the contractor you hire. Conduct your due diligence, obtain multiple evaluations and recommendations, and investigate your candidates. You might want to shy away from an Atlanta paving company that only offers one type of paving service. Atlanta paving contractors who only offer pavement replacement services, for example, might try to sell you a reconstruction when it would be more cost-effective for you to resurface your pavement. Once you find a top-notch Atlanta paving contractor, try to build a strong, long-lasting business relationship. That way, your Atlanta asphalt paving contractor will get to know your specific pavement, its history, and your goals.
What Are Some Paving Tips for After the Contractor’s Work Is Done?
Once asphalt paving companies complete their work, the care and maintenance of the pavement will fall on their clients. If you want to make sure that you get an appropriate return for the cost of your asphalt paving in Atlanta, there are a few things you should do.
1. Do not rush to allow vehicles on your pavement. Your Atlanta asphalt paving company will tell you how long to wait, and you should stick to this schedule.
2. Treat your new Atlanta asphalt paving tenderly. Whether it is a patch, an overlay, or a new construction, it will be much softer early on than it will be after it is fully cured. Avoid placing heavy, stationary loads on it, watch for drainage issues, and keep it clean.
3. Sealcoat your Atlanta asphalt paving as soon as possible. You will need to wait for it to cure before you can sealcoat it; curing can take anywhere from two months to eight months. Your asphalt paving contractor will be able to tell you how long to wait.
The Surface Masters is an extremely experienced, award-winning, and highly respected Atlanta paving company. Our services include asphalt paving, asphalt repairs, milling and reclamation, sealcoating, pavement markings, crack sealing, and concrete curbing. We are known for our extraordinary workmanship, professional integrity, and exceptional service. For a free quote, fill out our online request form, call 770-250-6392, or email Info@TheSurfaceMasters.com.